Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Crockpot Is Going to Save My Life...

Why didn't anyone tell me the Crockpot was so awesome!!!  This is going to sound dumb but I always thought crockpot's were for old ladies...  But now that I've gone from a family of 2 to a family of 4 somethings gotta give.  I've never liked eating leftovers, so most of the time I cook everyday...  (That's so old school now!)  And now that I've become a BOSSCHICK, at least in my mind, I don't have as much time to cook everyday... My husband says I need to cook more food so I don't have to cook everyday so I tried that.  Fail!  Too much food and no one is eating it all...  So now what???

I exchanged one of our wedding gifts for a Crockpot last week.  The day I bought it I made Teriyaki Chicken.  Well that is what it was supposed to be, but it ended up being some kind of fake BBQ Chicken.  It's still in the refrigerator.. LOL...  I did a search online to find slow cooker recipes and I came up with a winner.  One of my favorite meals ever is oxtails.  I'm half Trinidadian so you know I love the Island foods...  I seasoned the oxtail Saturday night and then put them in the Crockpot Sunday morning before church. When we got home, the smells coming from the kitchen were devine!  Yes, my oxtail were tender and falling off the bone.

My next meal I'm trying will be BBQ ribs.  I'll make that tomorrow for New Year's Day!  For anyone interested in the recipe I used, it is below.  Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

Oxtails in a Crockpot


Let me add, I did not follow the recipe exactly.  I only purchase 2lbs of oxtail.  I seasoned the oxtail with Accent, Black Pepper, Garlic powder and minced Garlic, Adobo, Sazon, Onions, Curry and Parsley.  I did not add all of those other items mentioned in their recipe. 

I browned the meat in a pot but Trini style. I put a little oil in the bottom of the pot and then add sugar.  Let the sugar get brown and bubbly before adding the oxtail.  Once you add the oxtail, let it get brown before turning to the other side.  Transfer the oxtail to the Crockpot and add the onions and beef broth.  I set it on high for 5 hours.  Once it was done.  I made a mixture of water and cornstarch and added it to the sauce to thicken it up.  I also made dumplings with flour, water and salt.

Delicious!

Update 1/5/15

I made the BBQ Ribs and they are so delicious... Here is a pictures!  (This is my husbands plate)

No comments:

Post a Comment